Saturday, March 22, 2014

Last day in New Mexico!

First of all - the Curious Kumquat in Silver City.
It was absolutely amazing - one of the best restaurant meals that I have ever had!!  Seriously - in a town of 10,000 if that - one chef and one waitress!  Weird ingredients - a partially cooked egg yolk with some of the yolk removed and replaced with mushroom stock???!!  We had the tasting menu - 6 courses in total, but every dish an insanely strange creation but soooooo good!!

But my last two cycling days have been challenging!  At this point I am asking myself why I never learn that it is a VERY good idea to train seriously (or at all) for something like this!!

Friday (yesterday) was Silver City to Kingston over the Emory Pass.  8,225 feet above sea level and we climbed and climbed and climbed to get to the top.  It really was not very steep but just a constant uphill.  A beautiful trip through the alpine forest and a spectacular view over the desert from the top, but man! was it a challenge!!  The last 8 miles to the lodge was all downhill which sounds great but it was hairpin turns and you never knew quite what was around the corner, so I used my brakes - a lot!  I am still cowardly when it comes to downhills with corners...

Today was a long bike ride into Las Cruces : 88 miles.  Spectacular scenery again at the beginning but soon we were back to the desert.  And you know, 88 miles isn't bad except that we had some strong headwinds and sidewinds  - just to make things exciting!!

I think that I am getting stronger every day - maybe not skinnier but stronger!!
And I continue to be amazed by the women on this trip - yesterday I was passed by two women in their seventies!!!   I find it so inspiring that they can even think about attempting a trip like this - let alone with grace and dignity!!
And the women in their fifties and sixties - so good to see people still take on physical challenges, regardless of their age!!

Keep sending those e-mails!!
(snow in Calgary again!!!??)

2 comments:

  1. Remember strong winds in Las Cruces area also - bit of a different scenario as tucked inside our truck but have to say in all of our RV travels the winds in this area were the strongest we had experienced to date.....So proud of you lovely niece - Peddle, Janine, Peddle ...... luv Anty Shirley xo

    ReplyDelete