Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Couple of Good Days!!!

Ah, what a difference a wind makes!!!!
The last couple of days have been a real treat - short distances, not too many hills or horrendous traffic - even decent accommodation - AND no headwinds!!!  Who even knew what a headwind was before this trip - definitely not me!!

I forgot to tell you all that one that horrible, awful, no good, very bad day, I had three knights on shiny bicycles come to my aid!!  There is another group of cyclists that are also doing the cross-country trip that occasionally cross paths with us (Bubba's group - a mixed group that does a lot of camping) and at about mile 50 that day, three of them cycled up beside me and suggested that I follow them.  One was on a recumbent bike and the other two on regular bikes and I tucked in behind them for close to 10 miles - they got me to my lunch stop - safe and pretty much sound.  I honestly don't know if I could have gone as far as I did without that help!!  Thanks Mike, Mike and Scott!!!  And Scott is from Kelowna!!

Oh - last night, Bubba invited us to their campground for an ice cream social, so I got to thank them again in person!  It was fun to compare notes with another group.

I was also thinking that I should let you know that most of us on this WomanTours adventure do not look like super-athletes at all.  In civilian clothes, we look pretty normal - you would NOT pick us out of a crowd as being someone who would take on a crazy trip like this!!  There are super-athletes among us but for the most part we look just like most other middle-aged women.

Sometimes I wonder what we look like as a group??  We will often arrive in these little "Mom & Pop" restaurants in these tiny, tired towns :  clad in our spandex and jerseys, pulling off our helmets revealing our wild hair - a little sunburnt, a little greasy and maybe even a little sweaty - but we don't look remarkable at all - except maybe, just maybe, as the weeks go by we are looking stronger, a little more toned and a little more confident that we can meet some pretty big challenges and still laugh at the end of the day.
If you think that you could never do something like this, think again - it mostly takes determination and a willingness to get on the bike and stay on the bike even when things get tough!!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you're taking lots of photos especially of all the group and at the end of the day when you are looking tired but proud. Good going. When do you reach the halfway point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine! Your description of this day says it all! You could write a book about your Southern Tier adventures!

    ReplyDelete