Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Ahhhhhh.... a rest day! So happy!

It has been eight straight days of cycling and finally we have a day off!  We have cycled almost 500 miles in this stretch - that is a lot of time on the old bike...
Oh - I forgot to tell you about my favourite part of yesterday -

There was road construction so we all stopped and waited for the pilot car to take the traffic through in our direction.  The cars and trucks left first and then we had the roadway to ourselves - beautiful, pothole free pavement - and off we went!  It was almost all downhill and there was literally no traffic at all for the next ten miles as we flew into Duncan - our lunch stop.  I have never gone that fast - I think I was up to 34 miles per hour!!!!!!  I am generally quite a chicken about downhills but everything was perfect to just let it all go straight down the highway.  One of my friends said that "for an old-age pensioner, that's the nearest thing to an org.....  whoops - maybe that's rude!!  In any case, what fun!!!

Today I found to be a gruelling day.  To begin with, it was absolutely freezing when we left the hotel
(and honey, I know cold!!).  It warmed up quite quickly, but most of the day was uphill.  We climbed up to and over the continental divide (over 6,200 feet) and I thought that maybe that was the end of the hills, but no such luck!  It seemed to be really difficult to get up those hills today, but I think that I am just tired!!!

Rest day in Silver City tomorrow - oh Happy Day!!!!!  My goal for tomorrow?  To do as little as possible and to go out for dinner to "The Curious Cumquat"  Intrigued??  So am I.

A bientôt mes amis!!

1 comment:

  1. Its nice to hear that you have a well deserved break today.
    Enjoy the sunshine and heat....its snowing in Calgary.......

    ReplyDelete