Friday, March 7, 2014

First day of cycling!

One cycling day is done - only 49 cycling days to go (58 days in total) and now LESS than 3,100 miles!

It was a short ride today at only 35 miles but I very much regretted all the wine I drank in Barcelona and Venice - not to mention the pasta..and pizza...and desserts!  (I don't really regret it - I loved every morsel but ooooohhhh, I felt it!!)

First we biked to the ocean for the obligatory dip-your-bike-in-the-ocean and take pictures so that you can truly claim that you biked from ocean to ocean.
Next we had to leave San Diego - a big city after all, and a lot of fast-moving traffic to get through.
Finally we were out of the city but we had a few long, long fairly steep hills to climb so that part had its challenges too.
Oh and I fell - does that make me a loser??  Mostly just hurt my pride....  I believe that I was thinking great thoughts when it happened (as I am wont to do when I'm cycling..) but I think that I should take that as a learning experience - hopefully avoiding a repeat.  And a huge thank you to my friend MarySlade who not only stopped to make sure that I was okay, but she gave me her LAST Reeses Peanut Butter Cup to make me feel better.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is a true friend!

For those short on details : we are biking 3,100 miles from San Diego to St. Augustine, Florida.  It is with a company called WomanTours - and from the name you might be able to guess that it is all women - 30 of us.  Average age?  Around 58 or so.  Wonderful, interesting women (so far at least) - 3 Canadians in total.
And you may know that I had done another "epic" bike trip in the fall of 2012 - from Bellingham, Washington to Ventura, California in a month.  There are 7 or 8 of us on this ride that all did that trip together and they really are great people : Sheila from Scotland, MarySlade of the Peanut Butter Cup and Sue Wright....

Time to go to bed - very, very tired...  49 miles to bike tomorrow....

Please don't forget that you can e-mail me - I should have internet most of the time...

Janine

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you won't be too sore tomorrow from the fall. Sounds like you have some good ladies with you. Take care of yourself we want you back in one piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Mexico is a beautiful state and the best is yet to come - Texas !!
    Peddle Janine Peddle ...... luv Anty Shirley xo

    ReplyDelete